Saturday, July 2, 2011

España tiene mi corazón!

España tiene mi corazón!
6/30/201


I love Spain everyone!! The first day we got here we were the first to get off the ship (because we had a FDP we were going to be late for:) and we hopped on the metro to head to the Universitat de Barcelona (UB)!!!  I was so excited :) When we got on I sat next to a young man studying a paper... and started speaking to him in Spanish!!! I love practicing!! He was a student going to the UB. His major is geology and he was taking his comprehensive final (the only grade for his class... that's how they do it on the EU system) that day and he was kind of worried... but I gave him some words of encouragement before we left and I'm sure he did well!!

We got off the Metro and headed to the UB historical campus and were just amazed as we entered into the Main Entrance! This was just a sneak preview of the university. We were given a brief presentation (admissions pitch) on the UB and it's services followed by a tour of the building!  The architecture and paintings were just epic everywhere! I will post a link of pictures when/if I ever get a chance!!! We got to see a lecture hall and it had us all floored! It resembled a really fancy church and museum! There were two balconies facing one another where a student would defend himself to the professor on the other side in front of the whole class! The whole thing was amazing.

Afterwards, the grad students all went to a fantastic 3 course meal for 10.5 E (fantastic with everything we got!!!)! Everything tasted amazing!!! Slowly we headed back to the ship as we strolled down Las  Ramblas (a really great and lively city street).  We each went to our cabins and had a siesta (nap) to get refreshed for the night life! We left the ship around 11:30 and headed out and discovered a tapas restaurant and all sat down to enjoy a dinner (yes... they have late dinners and even latter evenings... starting at 2!).  While we ate some really delicious Tapas (I highly suggest Croquets <sp?), paella, & Sangria we over heard a group at the next table singing and we joined in and apparently we each liked to jump into each other's salutes!  Eventually, some of our group left to go to a bar and we joined their table! They were from England, and Germany, and some other places and this was their last night before they headed out to France. Their names were Natasha, Alex, Ian, and Jaga and we hung out and had a blast with them until about 4am when we returned back to the ship for some sleep!!! :)

The next morning started at 9am when Amy, Caitlin, Adrian and I headed out to find some Curros con Chocolate :) Our goal for this day was to simply "get lost" in the city and explore... and we did!  We found all kinds of interesting shops and even more tapas! ...there was a secret agenda for the day though... we were waiting for a specific someone to fly in and meet Caitlin who had no idea they were coming :) Once Amy got the go ahead Adrian and I split up from them to head back and Caitlin and Amy went to go visit another University and Tipitabo (sp?) where her boyfriend of 5 years proposed to her!!! I was sooo excited!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :)

Today!!! OMG What an amazing day!!!!  So it all started off with a fantastic FPD called Paella Tour where I got to take a cooking class to learn how to make paella!! ...Just so you all know, traditionally this dish has sea food in it... you know, the stuff I don't really like! Well I definitely tried a lot of new things with this dish! It was a fantastic time getting to make it and delicious to eat! For desert we also got to have some yummy crembrule!!!  Then, I headed back to the ship where I met up with Sercon to go to the Dali museum... unfortunately, we found out it was an hour away and would probably be closed before we got there :(... but we will probably go tomorrow (fingers crossed).  Instead we headed bravely found our way to a number of things! First, the Picasso museum! So amazing! I've heard others thought it was boring but I thing my sister Alice, has made me appreciate art a lot more :) then we headed to the Sagrada la Familia... this was SOOOO beautiful!! I cou
 ld not believe how much detail went into this one building... unfortunately Gali died before he could complete it... so others are working on it and it's supposed to be finished in like 50 years for his 100th anniversary. So pretty!  Then (my favorite!!!) we went to the Park Guiell!!!!! WOW!!! We got there... and I literally had no words!! I don't think I can ever remember anything making me feel so impressed!!! The architecture was so unique and amazingly beautiful! Just walking around was peaceful and amazing!!!  We made our way up to the cross at the top and had the best view of Barcelona as we watched the sun set over the Tipitabo church!!! On our way down we found the gorgeous (what I call) squiggly benches!!! I was just so happy!!!! We headed back and were at the bus stop ready to head back to the ship but I knew I was just going to find a Flamenco performance... and one of the other LLCs, Drew, had just gotten out of one and told me to go... so I recruited (new friend on SaS) Leah to come with me and we watched a show for 6E at Toranto!! It was fantastic!!! Oh and I got to have a nice little 20 min. conversation with Ambierrto (sp?) in Spanish... He didn't know any english but he told me he would make me practice :D


 Now I'm back and am off to bed!! My goal is to wake up for my FPD bike tour at 7:30 followed by a visit to the football/soccer stadium and an attempt at going to see Dali's museum!!! :D

Sea ya latter~

~Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment