Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Amazing Race... and others :)

The Amazing Race... and others :) (6/22/2011)

Hi! Hi! Everyone!!!!!  So, since we are at sea we have been taking classes and have now completed our C4 (Class day 4). Kathy Manning's class is really interesting :) Yesterday she brought in David Gise, our interport lecturer from Spain to talk about the higher education in Spain which was really interesting (I was familiar with it because I will be doing my presentation on it) She has also brought in Ken Cushner (the teachers at sea professor) to provide information about misunderstandings in other cultures.  His presentation was very entertaining and sooo informative for out visits to the other countries!

Yesterday was my first night on "Pub" dutie where the students are allowed to purchase alcohol (yes... the legal age is 18 on this ship... they are only allowed 2 for the night so don't get crazy). It was a fun little social hour for everyone... and was tempted to order a pizza... Holly was so right when she said there was mostly pasta and potatoes for meals :) ...they really aren't bad though. However, I can't wait for our dinning out adventures in port! David Gise also did a "Big Explorer Seminar" last night about dinning out in Spain and I am looking forward to those Tappas =D ...and I now know a few things I want to avoid!

Ouu I also audited one of the "Brush Up on Spanish" classes and it was pretty intense for me (he is from Spain and would only speak Spanish) but I could follow along a little (and he was very encouraging :) I know it will definitely come in handy!  I learned/relearned how to give directions for walking/driving and taking the trains <- I didn't even think about this one before I left!

Our interns (Anna & Kandis) have been amazing! Today we introduced them to a "True Colors" presentation which is a leadership assessment.  We had them take it and explained it to them.  Collectively we will be presenting it on Friday! So far it sounds like it will be an amazing presentation!

So tonight was the Amazing Race that Sarah and Tiana (other LLCs) have been working on.  This was a ship wide scavenger hunt that over 500 students (out of the 690) participated in!  There were some pretty tough riddles that led them to destinations where we (the staff and some volunteers) would sign them off.  The winners will be the first off in Spain! It was really fun seeing everyone try to work together as a group to figure out the clues and find the right people :) It did start to rain but that did not spoil the fun! The first team finished in 50 min! and the next came 20 min latter. It was so much fun... plus while I was waiting I actually did get to get some of my reading done! After some belly dancing and Apples to Apples with the Staff I came to work on my project and now I'm off to bed... we loose ANOTHER hour tonight (technically it's 1:44 right now)!!!  One last thing before I go... Apparently, someone saw a whale yesterday and did not tell me!  I will see a whal
 e!! *Fingers Crossed*

Sea ya latter,
~Jenni Kraft

1 comment:

  1. David probably told you to avoid pulpo...but if you like scallops go for it!! Take tons of risks when eating--it's totally worth it! Ken Cushner...it is so awesome to know you are meeting these talented and amazing people :). Don't worry; you will be able to see whales in the Mediterranean...at least the spouts.

    ReplyDelete